Outfits Inspiration cute life Links

Monday 17 March 2014

NIKKI PARKER




            One of the things I want to share on this space is the people that I find inspiring.
What better place to start than by featuring the incredibly talented Nikki Parker, who created the artwork and put together this blog. 
            I first stumbled across this Brisbane based Illustrator/Graphic Designer/all-round sweetheart on Tumblr, initially falling in love with her kitschy, cute style and then her beautiful art. I am a long time follower and fan, but it wasn’t until last year when I commissioned her to do an artwork for a friend’s birthday that I had the pleasure of working with her. 
            This Q&A will give you an insight into Nikki’s sugary sweet personality and nature that I’ve been lucky enough to work with, as well as understand how she has succeeded in Graphic Design/Illustration space.

- How long have you been doing graphic design/illustrative work for?
I've been drawing since I was a lil girl, but have been working as a freelance illustrator and Graphic designer for 3 years now.

- What made you want to go into this field and how did you go about it?
I've known since I can remember that I wanted to do something in the art industry, but it wasn't until I was studying visual arts did I find out that Graphic Designer was even a real job. I studied art as a step student in high school which was through Tafe. It was a lot of fun I got to go to Tafe instead of school one day a week and learn what I wanted to pursue as an artist. I went on to complete my Diploma in visual art then my diploma in graphic design and now in my final year of Degree of creative media majoring in graphic design.

But all the education aside, I draw every day I take on new commissions every few days, I basically never stop and I think that’s the best way to go about it. Never give up.
 
- Where do you draw your Inspiration from for your artwork?
I find inspiration for my personal work through my love of food and my love of the female form. I'm also inspired by mid-century sewing patterns and lifestyle.



- Who are some of your current favourite artists?
I've always loved Danny Brito, he comments on my instagram sometimes and I seriously fan girl. I also love Fafi and Miss Van.

- You've created a lot of delightful custom artworks, what sort of things do you offer and how would someone go about commissioning you?
I offer anything you can think of, Illustrations of yourself, couple friends, Wedding invites, other invitations, blog headers, brag letters and I've even designed tattoos. If you just send me a email I'm more than happy to chitty chat about your vision and how I can help bring it to life.


- What upcoming projects are you working on?
I have a solo show in the works as well as some wonderful collaborations but have to be hush hush for now.

- Where can someone check out more of your work?
Through my facebook page, Instagram and blog. I post updates nearly daily.

- How would you describe your fashion style?
I believe my fashion sense is if a sweet tooth came to life and wore a lot of dresses.


- Where are some of your favourite places to shop?
Ebay, I'm a compulsive ebayer. Also opshops.

- Who is your ultimate style icon?
My mum, she is a total babe.




No comments:

Post a Comment